The aim of early childhood education in a Montessori classroom is not to fill the child with facts but rather to cultivate his or her own natural desire to learn.
The fundamental goals of the Montessori philosophy and environment are to develop:
- a positive attitude towards school and learning
- a sense of high self-esteem
- habits of concentration for lifelong study skills
- creative intelligence and imagination
- habits of initiative and persistence
- inner discipline and a sense of order
- concern and responsibility for self and others
- socially acceptable behaviour
- the basic skills necessary for a lifetime of learning
- each child’s innate, ultimate potential through high self-expectations
Montessori education begins at birth and is an education for life.